From exploring the ancient Greek civilisation in Thassos' museum to relaxing on the 'Golden Beach' stretch on the island's east coast, don't miss out on the opportunity to escape to the beautiful island of Thassos. A trip to this elegant Venetian island retreat is perfect if you're looking to avoid the most busier island resorts. Explore the island by horse, it's a great way to see the sights and to really appreciate the beautiful countryside surroundings. There are plenty of places to visit in Thassos, making it great for families and couples who want a more laid-back, relaxed break in the sun. Thassos truly is one of the Mediterranean's most elegant island escapes.
1. Costis PotteryWitness the last remaining Thassian potter at work as you visit this hidden gem on the south west coast of Thassos Town. In this fascinating workshop you'll meet Costis; a man who proudly continues a family pottery tradition spanning over 3,000 years. So if you're interested in learning a little local history, don't forget to put this on your list of Thassos places to visit.
2. Escape to Golden BeachIf the sun, sea and sand are on the top of your itinerary of things to do in Thassos Greece, don't miss this top spot and one of the best beaches in Greece. Golden Beach, on the island's eastern coast, takes pride in the fact that it is the largest beach on the island. With its pristine white sands, crystal-clear emerald water, and lush green forest backdrop, you'd be forgiven for thinking this was the tropics.
3. Sotirelis Giorgios - Thassos Olive OilDiscover more about Greece's most celebrated export, olive oil, at this beautiful family-run factory in Thassos. Starting life as a water-powered mill, Sotirelis Giorgos Olive Oil welcomes visitors to learn more about its history, and of course, pick up a bottle or two of oil to take home! A great choice if you're looking for more ideas on what to do in Thassos, other than the beach.
4. Horse ridingExplore the beautiful countryside of Thassos as you ride across the lush green forests and olive groves by horse. The perfect alternative to the sand and the sea. Rides are designed for all level of abilities, whether it's your first time on a horse or you're an experienced rider.
5. Archangelos MonasteryNear the village of Alyki you can discover the Archangelos Monastery resting upon the cliff summit. The views of the coast will leave you lost for words.
6. Limenas Archaeological MuseumA throwback to the ancient world of Greek mythology, the Limenas Archaeological Museum features an impressive collection of artefacts and religious statues. If you're interested in ancient civilisations, don't forget to include this on your list of Thassos things to do
7. Climb Mount IpsarionFancy a challenge? Lace up your boots and climb the highest mountain in Thassos, Mount Ipsorion, which is more than 1,200 metres above sea level. While it takes several hours to reach the top, it's certainly worth all that effort. The views from the top are incredible, especially on a clear summer's day, although remember to bring plenty of water and sun cream. Along the way you'll notice the historic Agios Panteleimon monastery in the distance, which dates back to the early 19th century.
8. The mountain village of TheologosHead inland to this stunning historic village of Theologos, which has existed since at least the 13th century and was for many years Thassos' administrative capital. One of the most interesting cultural things to do in Thassos is to watch a traditional Thassian wedding here, which take place every summer.
9. The Ancient Theatre in LimenosSee this striking ancient landmark in Limenos, also known as Thassos Town, in the north of the island. This site holds big concerts and Greek Plays in July and August, and is a great place to watch the sunset.
10. Go on a coastal driveIf you're hiring a car, take a drive along the dramatic southwestern coast, where you'll find stunning secluded coves and towering cliffs. Another beach that's definitely worth putting on your list of things to do in Thassos, Alyki beach is a gorgeous sandy bay with a good choice of tavernas nearby. As you can see, there's no shortage of exciting things to do in Thassos.