At Thomas Cook, we know what makes the perfect family holiday. That's why all of our family hotels are set up with one thought in mind ” to keep the kids stimulated and parents relaxed and happy. But what about the destination itself? What are your ingredients for family holiday success? To find out exactly that, we surveyed holidaymakers who just spent their summer in one of our favourite family holiday hotspots; Tenerife. Here's our top 10 Tenerife family attractions; as voted for by you.
1. Enjoying the thrills and spills at Siam ParkThe Thai-themed water park is one of the world's best. How much is it? For an adult pass it's 34.00 and 23.00 for kids (aged 3-11). What makes it great for families? It offers the adrenalin-fuelled rides you'd expect from a world-renowned water park (The Dragon, Tower of Power and the Mai Thai River), but what really sets it apart is the wave pool. At three metres high, they are the biggest artificial waves in the world. There's the option to ride the waves or just enjoy them lapping at your feet from the sanctuary of the white sandy beach.
2. Exploring nature at Aguilas Jungle ParkThis jungle park and zoological centre features a number of shows and events, showcasing a wide variety of wildlife from around the world. How much is it? An adult ticket costs 26.00 (24.00 if you book online), a child pass for those aged 5-10 years old is 17.50 (15.50 when booked online) and for those aged 3-4 years old it's 9.00 (7.00 when booked online). What makes it great for families? It's perfect for exploration. Set up as a jungle, it's home to more than 300 animals. You'll find exotic birds, a range of primates including chimpanzees, lemurs and orang-utans as well as penguins and sea lions. The educational element of the park is what really makes it the ideal day out for families with inquisitive children.
3. Relaxing on a peaceful beachTenerife has a number of awesome beaches. Due to its volcanic heritage the island is home to a variety of natural black sand beaches, as well as the traditional golden sands everyone loves. Due to the year-round sunshine and lack of rainfall, all the Thomas Cook holidaymakers we surveyed told us that a quiet day relaxing on the beach is always one of the best family activities. How much is it? Spending a day on the beach is, of course, free. What makes it great for families? The beaches in Tenerife offer so much for families. From the gentle child-friendly breakwater at Playa de las Vistas, and water sports at El Madano, to the picturesque spot of Playa Jardin there's everything the family needs and more.
4. Traversing Teide National ParkIt's the most famous natural wonder on the island. At an imposing 3,718m high, Mount Teide is the third tallest volcano on the planet. Surrounded by hundreds of smaller volcanos, the national park is a truly breath-taking place. How much is it? There are a range of tours and excursions to choose from, including a simple journey up the cable car and a trip up to see the sunset and stars. For a full range of excursions visit www.telefericoteide.com/en. What makes it great for families? Taking the opportunity to enjoy one of the many trails in the national park is the ideal family day out. With over 30 walks to choose from, they cater to all levels and abilities.
5. Enjoying the stunning landscape on two wheels with 'Bike Experience Tenerife'Tenerife is so much more than just the beach and resort. The island is home to intriguing volcanic landscapes and a beautiful coastline, which are waiting to be explored. For many of our Thomas Cook customers, a family day out cycling is the best way to discover the beauty. How much is it? You can hire bikes from around 20 a day, 18 for 2-5 days, and 16 for more than six days. What makes it great for families? As well as being a training base for professional teams such as Team Sky, the island also offers a lot for beginners looking for a gentler cycling experience. Bike Experience Tenerife, have created a number of amateur routes catering for families, able to be enjoyed on a warm day without too much exertion.
6. Getting wet and wild at AqualandThe likes of the Kamikazes, Tornado, and Super Slalom will keep adrenaline junkies happy all day long. With two new big rides added this year (Flying Boats and Multisurf) the park has been packed during the summer and autumn with Thomas Cook customers. How much is it? How much is it? A family pass for two adults and two children costs 71.00. What makes it great for families? The smaller kids can enjoy Kidzworld, Family Adventure Land, the Family and Child Wave Pool, the Rapids and Water Castle, while the large heated Jacuzzi is ideal for mum and dad. The daily dolphin shows at the Dolphinarium add an extra spectacle for a memorable family visit.
7. Discovering the uniqueness of TenerifeHead up into the mountains, across volcanic landscapes, or simply spend a day in the hills with a guided driving tour. Sit back and relax as you take in the island's scenery, before enjoying time in the quaint towns and villages dotted around Tenerife. How much is it? Tours from Tenerife Private Tours cost from around 260 for the day. What makes it great for families? What makes it great for families? The opportunity to explore the history of the island, visit the local towns and villages and immerse yourself in the unique Canarian-culture.
8. Enjoying family sports togetherWater sports are hugely popular in Tenerife ” diving, sailing and water-skiiing are all ideal for the family, but it's not just sports in the water on offer. Days spent mountain biking or playing tennis with the family not only makes the most of the Canarian climate, it's also an ideal way to spend time together. How much is it? For tennis days head to Tennis Zoo for tennis tips, tricks and info on bookings. What makes it great for families? The chance to bond over sporting endeavours ” it's what family holidays are made of.
9. Exploring on footTenerife offers so much more than just Mount Teide for active families. Thomas Cook Tenerife holidaymakers love nothing more than exploring the island on two feet, with highlights including the coastal walks in the north, the northern Anaga Mountains, and the woods on the outskirts of the Teide National Park. How much is it? Of course, walking is free, but to really make the most of the island you can purchase guides from Walking Tenerife. From around 9 you can explore all of the islands seven best walks. What makes it great for families? The fresh air, spectacular scenery and the feeling of exploration this intriguing island offers. Although not technically on Tenerife, walking trips to the neighbouring island of La Gomera have proved especially popular with Thomas Cook customers. You can book guided walks from Gomera Walking.
Tenerife truly is one of the best destinations for a family holiday. Have you been to Tenerife with the family? What was the most memorable experience of your time there? Tell us what you'd recommend as the best family activity.