Sitting on the sun-soaked Atlantic Coast, Kololi Beach is a former fishing village that has grown into one of Gambia's favourite holiday resorts. Of course, you'll be able to spend long days topping up your tan on the beach and soaking up the African sunshine, but this place has so much more to offer as well as that gorgeous beach. When it comes to things to do in Gambia's Kololi Beach resort, there really is something for everyone. Couples will love strolling through the colourful craft market, where you can pick up handmade souvenirs. If you're travelling as a family, you'll love venturing out into the wild and spotting birds and animals hiding in the trees at the nearby natural park. If you want to experience a slice of local life, head down to Senegambia Craft Market. You'll be spoiled for choice when it comes to things to do in Kololi, and you certainly won't be stuck for ideas to fill your days. Let's take a closer look at how you can fill your holiday with great things to do in Kololi Beach.
1. Go shopping at Senegambia Craft MarketRunning up and down the Kololi Strip, this bustling craft market is one of the resort's biggest and best attractions. You'll find a superb selection of stalls here, selling everything from intricate wooden carvings to African paintings. It's the ideal place to pick up a souvenir or two.
2. Cruise down the Gambia RiverEnjoy the beautiful surroundings as you enjoy a laid-back journey down the River Gambia. Look out for exotic birds and wildlife along the way, and see if you can spot a hippo submerged in the water. If not, you'll have plenty of glorious scenery to look at as you make your way along.
3. Daytrip to Katchikally Crocodile PoolSituated right in the heart of Bakau, you'll discover the Katchikally Crocodile Pool. In Gambia, crocodiles represent the power of fertility, and this is one of three sacred pools in Africa. You'll be able to spot them in their natural habitat here, as you guide takes you around the area.
4. Explore Bijilo National ParkRight on the doorstep of Kololi, on the cliffside by the coast, you'll discover the lush green grounds of Bijilo National Park. This stunning rainforest nature reserve is brimming with rare plants and tropical birds, and if you're lucky you'll spot all kinds of colourful monkeys (including the native and utterly adorable vervets).
5. Hit the beachKololi's sandy beach is sitting pretty on the beautiful Atlantic Coast, and it's easy to spend long days soaking up the sunshine here. Don't forget to pack your suncream, as the African sun is strong. Why not treat yourself to a slice of tropical fruit from one of the local vendors? Or head to one of the beach bars and grab a cool beer.