One of the biggest tourist attractions in Maspalomas is the lighthouse. It's situated next to the famous sand dunes and it's been standing since before tourists came to the area and it turned into a holiday resort. Known as ”El Faro de Maspalomas' to the locals, the lighthouse started being built in 1861 and took 28 years to complete as at the time the resort was cut off from the rest of Gran Canaria and had to get the materials imported across the sea. Once completed, the lighthouse first shone its light in 1890. It helped guide steam boats on routes between Europe, Africa and America as it could be seen for 19 nautical miles. Nowadays it's a distinctive land mark in Maspalomas as it marks a point where the sands of Maspalomas stop and Playa del Inglés begins. It's also the tallest masonry lighthouse in all of the Canary Islands and it still works after all this time.