Stomach Upsets: Holidays are all about new experiences and this may include enjoying the local food. Different food, too much sun, drinking fizzy drinks or more alcohol than you would usually drink at home can sometimes result in stomach upsets and feeling unwell. Here are a few tips on how to prevent illness on holiday:
• Don’t stay in the sun for long periods and always wear a hat and sunscreen.
• Keep hydrated by drinking bottled water, and use this to brush your teeth.
• Wash your hands before eating and after using the toilet and handling money. It’s helpful to carry a hand sanitizer with you.
• Make sure hot food looks thoroughly cooked and is still hot when served.
• Avoid salad as it’s likely to have been washed in tap water.
• Avoid any uncooked food apart from fruits, vegetables or food that can be peeled or shelled.
• If you have a food allergy, ask for information about ingredients before eating, and tell the hotel reception about your allergies when you check in.
• Be aware that alcohol measures abroad may be larger than in the UK. Please drink alcohol in moderation.
If you become ill while on holiday, you must see a local doctor and report your illness to our representative (if we provide a rep service) or via our contact details as shown on your travel documentation. Our staff in resort can put you in touch with a local doctor and if you have any questions or concerns around this you can talk to them. It’s important you see a doctor to make sure you get the right tests, diagnosis and treatment. You should also go and see your GP as early as possible when you get home. If you think your illness was caused by something you ate at your hotel, you’ll need evidence to support this from the doctor you see in resort. If you feel you have reason to make a complaint or claim about a holiday illness you must be able to show you’ve followed these steps.
**We’re aware that some holidaymakers are being encouraged to put forward fraudulent claims for compensation. We’re committed to the prevention and detection of fraud and work with fraud investigators to protect our customers and to try to keep the cost of our holidays as low as possible. If you’re either approached by someone claiming they can get you compensation, or you have information that will assist us in the detection or prevention of fraudulent claims, you can speak in confidence to our representatives, or contact our Customer Relations team www.thomascook.com/customer-relations **
Get our best offers and holiday inspiration straight to your inbox