Cookies on the Thomas Cook Website

This site uses cookies, as explained in our Privacy Policy. If you use this site without adjusting your cookies settings, you agree to our use of cookies.

Browser not supported

Thomascook.com does not support this browser version, to benefit from a better user experience we recommend that you update your browser.



No, thank you

Carbon Monoxide - Gas safety

Carbon Monoxide:

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a poisonous gas which we can’t see, smell or taste.  It’s produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels: including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas.

Gas Appliances:

It’s Thomas Cook’s policy not to provide accommodation with internal gas water heaters.  If you have concerns that there may be a gas water heater within your sleeping accommodation, please contact us immediately.  The Thomas Cook 24-hour helpline number is detailed in your travel documentation.

Signs of Carbon Monoxide:

CO doesn’t smell, has no taste and is invisible to the human eye so it’s important to know how to spot the signs that there might be a problem. 

Each of the examples below could be a sign of the production of carbon monoxide due to a faulty appliance:

• A weak or ‘lazy’ yellow or orange flame on a hob or gas boiler: it should be a bright crisp, blue flame
• Dark stains or black marks on or around appliances
• A pilot light that regularly goes out
• A large amount of condensation in the room and on the windows

Symptoms:

As carbon monoxide is undetectable to the human senses, we may be unaware that we’re  being exposed to it. The initial symptoms of low to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to the flu but without fever.  They include:
• Headache
• Fatigue
• Shortness of breath
• Nausea
• Dizziness

High level carbon monoxide poisoning results in progressively more severe symptoms, including:
• Vomiting
• Confusion
• Loss of muscular coordination
• Loss of consciousness

The severity of these symptoms is related to both the carbon monoxide level and the duration of exposure.  For slowly developing carbon monoxide exposure, victims and medical professionals can mistake mild to moderate carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms for the flu, which can result in avoidable and tragic consequences.  For rapidly developing, high-level carbon monoxide exposure, victims can quickly become confused and can lose muscle control without having first experienced milder symptoms.

If you are experiencing symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning
If you ever think you’re  experiencing any of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside to fresh air immediately and contact a doctor for a proper diagnosis.

Prompt medical attention is very important. Tell the doctor that you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning to be the cause of your symptoms.

If the appropriate tests confirm that you’ve  suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, please contact us immediately either through your in destination representative or the Thomas Cook 24-hour helpline number which you’ll find in your travel documentation.

The Gas Safe website does provide some further information about Carbon Monoxide. Visit: https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/seasonal-advice/gas-safety-on-holiday/