The charming port town of Aghios Nikolaos mixes classic Greek tradition with a cosmopolitan vibe. When it comes to things to in Aghios Nikolaos, your options are just as varied; you'll find everything from glorious natural scenery to family-friendly attractions all within easy reach. It's up to you whether you spend your time relaxing by the lake, playing on the beach, or exploring what the region has to offer. And you'll be pleased to hear that the fun doesn't stop when the sun goes down either! This resort has a superb nightlife scene, whether you want to sample traditional Greek food at a chic restaurant, or party until dawn at a late-night club on the buzzing marina. With so many things to in Aghios Nikolaos, we've put together a few of the highlights so you can make the most of your holiday. Let's take a closer look, and you can pick your favourite.
1. Relax at Lake VoulismeniRight in the heart of the resort, you'll discover magical Lake Voulismeni. According to mythology, this is where the goddess Athena used to bathe, and today you can do the same in this truly magnificent setting. The picturesque saltwater lake is lined with pastel-coloured tavernas and stylish boutiques, so it's easy to while away a whole day and evening here. You won't want to miss this.
2. Find your favourite beachYou'll have no fewer than five honey-coloured beaches to choose from on your Aghios Nikolaos holiday, and they're all sheltered by green, rocky headlands. EOT beach or the Beach of the Greek National Tourism Organisation, is the closest to the town centre, and that means it's also the busiest. Kitroplatia and Ammos are just a few minutes away on foot, and are less crowded. So why not try them all and see which one you like best?
3. Go shopping at the street marketIf you find yourself in town on a Wednesday, be sure to make a beeline for the street market. It kicks off at 7am and runs until 12pm, you'll be able to find a wealth of clothes, handmade crafts and unique souvenirs. There's loads of lovely local produce to get your hands on, too, including fresh fruit and veg, and delicious local honey.
4. Splash around at Acqua PlusIf you're heading to Aghios Nikolaos with the family in tow, there's one place you absolutely shouldn't miss: Acqua Plus. This is one of Crete's best waterparks, and luckily for you it's only a 40-minute drive from the resort. There's also a bus if you don't have a car. Here you'll find speedy slides, swimming pools, and lazy rivers galore. And there are some sunloungers when you're ready to take a break.
5. Stay out lateNight owls will love Aghios Nikolaos' vibrant nightlife scene, which gives you everything from laid-back lakeside restaurants to late-night dance clubs. Over at the lake, you can dine on fresh seafood in a stunning setting with the catch of the day taking centre stage on many menus. And if you want to stay up until the early hours of the morning, you can head over to buzzing bars and cosmopolitan cocktail bars over at the bustling marina. You can take things at a pace that suits you.