We’re all guilty of taking and uploading a few too many snapshots of our holidays; whether it’s at the airport having a pre-flight drink, the iconic sunset ocean shot or the classic poolside ‘hotdog’ legs.
And, it’s not just millennials who like to post their holiday antics on social media. In fact, 15% of 55+ year olds admit that when they choose their holiday they consider what they’d post to make friends and family jealous. And, don’t worry… I won’t tell anyone if you don’t!
Do you want to make your holiday pics really stand out on your social media? Professional photographer Mark Chilvers has given us five top tips on how to take the perfect shot:
1) Hold your phone with both hands and use the volume buttons for shutter release to improve the stability.
2) Remember the rule of thirds: put yourself in the centre of the nought and crosses board for better composition.
3) Look for leading lines, a strong diagonal shape coming in from the corner leads the eye into the picture.
4) Consider colour and light. On a small screen, primary colours work especially well. If you can set a red, green or blue off against each other, it’ll really pop.
5) Shoot in the golden hour, and you can’t go wrong. The hour before dawn or dusk makes everything work; selfies, landscapes and even shots in your hotel room.
You can see Mark’s work on Instagram: @markchilvers