With its picture-perfect, idyllic island landscape and its crystal-clear seas, it’s no wonder Mauritius is so high up on people’s bucket list; mine included! But with somewhere seemingly so beautiful, how exactly do you choose which one of its many beaches (over 160km’s worth, to be precise) to spend your time on? Each one is as unique and stunning as the next, so I’ve broken down a list of some of the best beaches in Mauritius to give you some help deciding.
Best beaches on the north coast of Mauritius
Along this coast, you’ll find the greatest variety of beaches on the island.
1) Pereybere Beach: This small but beautiful creek is popular with tourists and locals alike. With its calm and clear waters, it’s ideal for families and great for snorkelling too.
2) Trou-aux-Biches: This is the place to go with your camera if you want to capture an iconic, postcard photo of Mauritius; showcasing its powder-white sands and swaying coconut trees.
Best beaches on the east coast of Mauritius
The east coast is home to some of the most idyllic beaches on the island.
1) Belle Mare Plage: This is one of the most spectacular beaches on all of Mauritius. It boasts 10km of pristine sand and is the gateway to The Pass, one of the most popular dive sites.
2) Ile aux Cerfs: This is actually a stunning little island located just offshore from Trou d’eau Douce. Offering a taste of the exotic, you can enjoy water sports, a spot of lunch or just lie back and soak up the warm, Mauritian sun.
Best beaches on the south coast of Mauritius
The south coast and the surrounding areas are perfect for water sports.
1) Le Morne: To me, this is by far one of the most breathtaking beaches on the island, with its 4km of soft white sand and the UNESCO Heritage Site, Le Morne Mountain, as backdrop.
2) Blue Bay: As the name would suggest, this protected marine park is a mass of the purest blue waters. Offering the best underwater scenery on the island, you’ll love swimming amongst all the colourful fish.
Best beaches on the west coast of Mauritius
The island’s west coast beaches boast shallow waters, golden sands and some of the best sunsets.
1) Tamarin Bay: If you’re into surfing and fast-paced water sports, this is the spot for you. It’s the best place to surf on the island and you’re likely to catch sight of some dolphins while you’re there too.
2) Flic en Flac: This is easily the most popular beach on the west coast, with plenty going on both along the 8km of shoreline and in the water. Add to that the incredible scenery with Tamarin Mountain in the background and it ticks all the boxes.
Have you ever been to Mauritius before? Which is your favourite beach? Or which one of the above would you most like to visit? Let me know in the comments below.