Are you one of those people who’d rather be safe than sorry before your holiday, turning up at the airport even earlier than the suggested 2-3 hours before your flight? I know I am. If so, you might be twiddling your thumbs for quite some time in the departure lounge. To prevent that from happening, I’ve put together a list of my favourite ways to pass the time at the airport, which I hope might help you too. Take a look and don’t forget to let me know what I’m missing.
1) Head to duty free – There’s nothing better than a bit of tax free shopping before your holiday; picking up any items that you may have accidentally left off your packing list and also any added extras that you’re sure will come in handy on your holiday. How about a great value bottle of wine to enjoy on your hotel balcony?
2) Freshen up – While in the duty free shops, make the most of the free samples and spritz yourself with the latest perfumes and aftershaves to see what could be your new holiday fragrance. Then, whenever you spray the fragrance once you’re home, memories of your holiday will come flooding back to you.
3) Enjoy good food and a drink – There’s an unwritten rule that states it’s absolutely fine to eat or drink at any hour of the day if you’re in an airport. It adds to the excitement of going on holiday! Just make sure that the size of the meal you eat combined with where you’re flying to doesn’t affect your body too much and cause jet lag at the other end.
4) Charge your electronics – Many airports now have a designated ‘power station’ where you can plug in any electrical devices that need charging up, such as mobile phones, tablets or e-readers. If not, find a seat somewhere in the departure lounge and check behind it. You’ll likely find a plug socket not too far away. Plus, it’s worth remembering that certain airports may not let you through security if the battery is dead in any of your devices.
5) Hunt out a hotspot – You’ll find that most airports now offer free Wi-Fi to its passengers, even if it’s only for 30 minutes or so. Take advantage of this and research what’s on in the place that you’re heading to. Or better still, take your first selfies of the holiday and check-in on social media to make all your friends jealous. We’re all guilty of that, right?
6) Do a spot of people watching – Channel a bit of ‘Love Actually’ and watch the goings on of people around you as they greet and wave goodbye to loved ones. There’s something very calming and yet fun about people watching and playing out their make-believe life stories in your mind. Keep a sharp eye out for any celebrities wandering around the airport too. If you enjoy this, you’ll love a game of Airport Bingo.
7) Buy a good book – Save yourself the weight in your suitcase and head to the newsagents or book shop within the airport to pick up your holiday read. Check out the bestsellers to see what title you think you could get yourself lost in by the pool. And don’t forget to buy a copy of your favourite magazine for a bit of easy reading on the plane too.
8) Check-in at an airport lounge – Get your holiday off to a flying start by booking yourself into one of the airport lounges. They’re cheaper than you think and once inside, you can enjoy as much food and drink as you like, comfortable chairs to unwind in, peace and quiet and much, much more to make your holiday extra special and memorable.
What are your favourite ways to pass the time at the airport? Comment below and let me know.